How To Use Alexa For Research

by PotPieGirl on March 28, 2010 · 21 comments

Getting Keyword and Niche Ideas from Alexa.com

I’ve been crazy busy lately working on my husbands windshield repair business website for his new company. Exciting times for the PotPieGirl family, that’s for sure! In the process of my local search research, I found some cool stats that Alexa is now offering to those that have the Alexa toolbar installed. I’ve got a quick video to show you what I’ve found.

Using Alexa For Marketing Research

potpiegirl-certified-windshield-repair-technicianAs mentioned in my previous post, we were off to Oregon last week to become certified windshield repair technicians. Yes, I got trained and certified, too!

How could I possibly do a local search marketing campaign or create a website if I have no clue what the business is about or how repairs work? That intensive training class we went thru sure gave me a LOT of info about the industry AND I can fix a mean windshield chip now, too! That’s a picture of me getting my badge and certification =)

I’d like to send a quick thank you to the fantastic staff at Delta Kits in Eugene, Oregon. They are a top-notch company and we really appreciate your hospitality as well as the hands-on training – Thank you!

We actually got “stuck” in Eugene for almost 2 more days when our flight was over-booked and we got bumped – but that’s a story for another day….lol!

Anyway, since we’ve been back, I’ve been hard at work getting my hubby’s website created and promoted. It’s a process, but it’s coming along nicely.

While doing some market research I happened to check-in with Alexa and was surprised to find that they are now offering more stats – and these stats really help!

Here’s a quick video I made showing you what I found:

(remember, you must have the Alexa Tool Bar installed in your FireFox browser for this to work)

As you can see, this info can be really helpful whether you are doing niche research, keyword research, or local marketing research (as I was doing) – or some good old-fashioned research of your competition ;)

Check it out and let me know what you think!

George March 28, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Great info. I use Alexa to search where competitors are backlinking from but didn’t realize the toolbar was so useful. Thanks, I think I’ll go get it.

Ivona March 29, 2010 at 12:47 am

Thanks for another great information. It just happened I installed Alexa toolbar yesterday, so this is perfect timing. I was wondering if you would be able to explain more on this keyword research for local business? You make it so simple and easy to understand. Thanks again.

Donovan March 29, 2010 at 2:33 pm

You know what? This is actually an interesting idea. Thanks, I’ll use it!

Diamond Jewelry March 29, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Alexa is one cool tool to use for your business. Thanks for the information and video!

Oyunlar March 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Thanks, I think I’ll go get it. thanks fot this video

David Stillwagon March 30, 2010 at 1:57 am

Alexa is a big help, thanks!

Lu March 30, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Hi Jennifer
I just have a quick question on affiliate marketing. Can I really make a living just doing affiliate marketing, or do I have to have something to sell too.It just seems like anyone who is really successful does both.

Sherrie March 31, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thank you so much for taking the online information and putting it in to bit size pieces. I have followed your Squidoo Guide. It took the overwhelming feeling out of the equation. Just published my first lens today. Yeah! I have two more in the process. I’m off to follow your One Week Marketing Guide.
Here’s to Your Continued Success!

cinevin April 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm

great info. thank you very much

Güncel Haber Yorumlar? April 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm

great info. thank you very much

Background Check Miami April 11, 2010 at 4:31 am

I have to be honest.. I never thought i will find a really good use to Alexa until now.. I always tend to beleive Alexa ranking was a way overrated way of some people to sell the success of their website! This is a pretty interesting approach to marketing research! Thank you very much for sharing!

Hersey FuL April 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm

good shared

Joe Carpet Cleaner April 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm

And here I am thinking Alexa is outdated and useless. Thanks Pot Pie Girl. If you ever make it up here to Montana I have a nasty little chip you can repair. Thanks.

Dave@Walking Holidays in Spain April 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Great video, I have just added the alexa toolbar. This is a fantastic way to get other keywords in which you can try to rank for. Thanks Jennifer!

Mi April 18, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Aloha Jennifer, I want to buy your product! Your tutorials are so easy to understand, I’ve only watched 3 videos and want more! is it current? Is social media included? Do you ONLY use squidoo? Do you include what other apps or whatever they’re called I’d need to sign up on? are they all FREE? I’ve read that google can also penalize you for too many Do you advise on that? Does it explain how I can target local Hawaii markets? This is all very scary to me and on the other hand I need to make some residual income and just want to start on the right foot and figure If I just follow one person this might work for me. I’m ready to read and give the 100% you talked about.
Sorry to use this way to communicate with you I hope you find time to answer.. Much Mahalo

Jason Call April 19, 2010 at 12:32 am

Ok.. Jen… nothing to do with this post, good luck on the site.. but i wanted to let you know that you finally got me.. I became a member of WA. 2 minutes ago under you!!..

enuf said… i gotta get back to work and keep changing my families future- I have a great feeling about this..

Cookware April 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm

This is actually an interesting idea.

Kazzie April 21, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’ve had the alexa toolbar installed for ages and see the video has made me realize that I’m just not making use of its potential when it comes to doing research. So thanks!

Alex @ Haftpflichtversicherung Pferd April 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm

That actually is pretty amazing. You can check out your competition really easy this way.

Damn you know how great it is especially with local stuff.

Thanks for sharing this info with us!

Internet Specialist Mark April 26, 2010 at 3:42 am

Hi Jennifer

Learning more about you everyday ever since I downloaded your Squidoo Lens Book. Wish I found you years ago as it would have saved me a ton of money on my internet marketing “education” ;)

Superb information on using Alexa for research. I haven’t used Alexa that much in the last few months but now I need to revisit it after watching your video. Great Amazon tip too!

I’ve bookmarked this post and will continue to do so on other posts as I dive deeper into your stuff. Thanks for providing such insightful info.

Mark

P.s..will you show us how you’re going to dominate your local windshield repair market? That would certainly be helpful to everyone here I’m sure!