Fish Giver Week – Part 1

by PotPieGirl on June 1, 2010 · 29 comments

Can I Just GIVE You a Fish?

You know the saying that goes something like: “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime”? I’ve spent the past few years here at PotPieGirl.com trying to help others learn how to fish – and well, I’m a little bored of it and feel like switching it up this week. This week, I want to be a fish GIVER. Instead of telling you HOW to find little niche markets, I’m going to GIVE you ones I have found. Ok with you? Can I give YOU a fish? If so, keep reading….

Teaching To Fish

I like teaching to fish. I also firmly believe that by teaching HOW I am doing a better service to others than by simply giving fish away.

But that gets so old, doesn’t it?

I mean, c’mon, don’t you ever wish someone would just GIVE you some niche ideas and some keywords to use? I know *I* sure woulda liked it back when I was trying to figure all this out.

So, this week, I’m giving fish away. If you don’t want a fish, ya better leave now…lol!

I’ve just come back from a great vacation with my hubby and followed by a wonderful weekend with my family (kids, grandbaby, daughter-in-law, the whole she-bang). During the 9 days or so of vacation with my hubby I NEVER TOUCHED A COMPUTER.

That is an AMAZING feat for me. But I’m gonna tell you something, I feel good – really good! Refreshed, excited, and ready to roll. I highly recommend time away from the computer to everyone and anyone who is tangled up in this internet marketing mumbo-jumbo – but I know just how hard it is to do.

Thankfully, I finally have come to the point where I can get help and I have some amazing outsourcers in my corner that make my life SO much easier. I also highly recommend help as soon as you can manage it =)

Ok, enough of my talk about time off (but, forgot to mention that we saw the new Shrek movie, too – it was real cute…. I love that donkey….lol).

Let’s get back to fish giving….

I’ve been doing my research to get my projects together for my team and realized that I found a LOT of little gems for niche sites (or One Week Marketing campaigns) and I was going to snow them under if I kept adding projects faster than they could even read them.

So I said to myself, “Self, Why not share the little nuggets I found with y’all?”.

“We” thought it was a great idea ;)

Fish Giver Week Details

Here’s what’s going to happen:

Today, tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday there will be a Fish Giver post here on PotPieGirl.com. Each post will have a list of niches I’ve found along with available domain names and other related keywords.

I will give them to you just as I give them to my team. Now, my team knows my “secret sauce and top-secret techniques” for making my niche sites, but I’ll share places I’ve learned different techniques I use with you if you’d like to check them out.

(note: all the links will open in a new window/tab so you don’t lose your place here)

Recommended Learning Resources

• This program was really good for teaching the basics of making small niche sites that rank well and are profitable. I really like the system, I know it works, AND it also includes a simple mind-map/flow chart which I love.
  • This program is still somewhat new, but I am loving it. I bought the full program and have really enjoyed the teaching style and know what they are teaching really works (hint). I’ve also had some great conversations with the creators and these guys are top-notch. I’m very, very impressed.
  • This program was excellent for learning how to make small niche sites specifically for earning with AdSense (which is one of my favorite ways to monetize my niche sites for passive profits).
  • Speaking of “passive profits” – if you don’t really know what I’m talking about or want to learn more about my thoughts and how I build mine, you can read my free online course here: Under The Radar with PotPieGirl (it’s free, no opt-in or anything – just click and start reading).

Otherwise, you can do what you want with these “fish”. The domain names I show as available when I type this are a strong hint – and the “other keywords” are another hint as to what other posts/pages to have on your site or what other pages to have for your One Week Marketing campaign. How you monetize the site is totally up to you, but I will hint and say that for many of my sites like this I start with AdSense and Amazon =)

Recommended Hosting

If you want to make your own sites from these “fish” and don’t have hosting, I highly and strongly recommend HostGator. I’ve been with them for years and they are fantastic. I have a couple hosting accounts with them all the way from small add-on hosting accounts, reseller accounts, and fancy-dancy hosting and I have never had a problem with them. Also, you can pay month-by-month instead of having to fork over a years worth at one time. For less than $10 a month you can be up and running and have all you need to get started as far as hosting goes.

This is my link to sign up with HostGator. If you choose to use it, THANK YOU!!!

Under each domain name(s) hint(s), there will be a link to check and see if that domain is still available and to purchase it if it is. I have recently fallen in love with a new domain registration company…. they are super easy to use AND they offer free private registrations (which is awesome!).

One last thing before I release the fish….

Yuppers….a disclaimer (even tho I know y’all know all this already…lol)
    disclaimer
    I can’t guarantee anything about these niche ideas. Every domain name could be gone by the time you are reading… some might not make money…some might not rank well….no tellin’. BUT, I CAN tell you that I picked these niches the same exact way I pick them for myself to turn over to my team. HOW I do that is part of my “secret sauce” tho….lol! (but, a hint is that I use this tool when picking terms for this technique)

Ok, then – let’s start releasing some fish!

Fish Giver Week Part 1

• 1. nickel metal hydride
  • domain: nickelmetalhydride.net

Check Domain Name Availability

other keywords:

nickel metal hydride battery
    nickel metal hydiride batteries
    rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery
    rechareable nickel metal hydride batteries
    nickel metal hydride rechareable batteries
    nickel metal hydride battery charger

• 2. conair steamer

• domain: angelsstatues.net

Check Domain Name Availability

other keywords:

cherub angel statues
    angel demon statue
    cherub angel statue
    half angel half demon statue
    angel statues and figurines
    black angel statue

• 5. all in one remote
  • domain: allinoneremote.net

Check Domain Name Availability

other keywords:

all in one remote codes
    all in one universal remote
    all in one remotes
    all in one tv remote
    all in one remote controls
    logitech all in one remote

• 6. flight sim controls

wafflemakerwaringpro.com

Check Domain Name Availability

other keywords:

waring waffle pro
    waffle maker waring pro
    waring pro waffle maker
    waring pro belgian waffle maker
    waring pro professional waffle maker
    waring pro professional belgian waffle maker
    waring pro waffle iron

canonwideconverterlens.com
    canonwideangleconverterlens.com
    cononlensconverters.com

Check Domain Name Availability

other keywords:

canon wide converter lens
    canon wide angle converter lens
    canon wide angle lens converter
    canon lens converters
    canon lens mount converter
    canon telephoto converter lens
    nikon to canon lens converter

• 10. home graphic equalizer

home audio equalizers
    home equalizer
    equalizer home audio
    graphic equalizer home
    home stereo equalizer
    home stereo equalizers

So, there you have it…. lots of fun little niche ideas to use or get your brain going.

Have a good time with them and look for a new “fish list” tomorrow!

Jackie June 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Great list ~ it’s always fun to get some fish now and then. Glad you had a great vacation. :) You gonna tell us more about gathering your team at some point? I’d love to hear it.

Jackie

PotPieGirl June 1, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Hi Jackie!

I agree…fish are fun ;)

Perhaps I’ll talk about gathering a team sometime – not a bad topic at all, thanks!

Jennifer

Noel June 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm

As always, you are so selfless in what you provide. Thanks for everything you do Jennifer. I’ve been learning from you for quite some time.

P.S. I’m looking forward to that 2000th post at WA. :)

PotPieGirl June 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Thanks, Noel!

Giving is WAYYY more fun for me…plus, I like to have fun at “work” =)

I’m looking forward to post #2000 in Wealthy Affiliate, too. I love to give away as much as I can for my landmark posts. I just need to set aside a couple hours to write it.

Jennifer

Fred Raley June 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Jennifer,

You never cease to amaze me with your helping folks out.

That’s what marketing is all about… helping others, understanding others needs, etc. and helping them out.

Good job.

I just got back from a funeral for my Aunt. Had a great “Celebration of Life” with my relatives.

Onward & Upward!

Fred

p.s. I have a marketing blog too. It is also a “Do Follow” blog that helps others!

Theresa June 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm

What a great idea and so helpful for up and coming marketers.

Thanks for sharing . . . you set a high standard and good example to follow.

All the best,
    Theresa
    Keyword Angel

June-Information Marketing June 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Memorial Day weekend was a blast! So good to hear you were able to take some time off for yourself and family too! That’s what it is all about.

When I made my income as a retail manager for a large department store chain, it was not very often that I was able to take off on a holiday unless it was my turn for a weekend off, and more often than not, no one got time off on a holiday weekend.

When you are working for yourself, you don’t need to ask permission to take time off to be with your family or to go on holiday.

I was so happy to be able to shut my computers down and enjoy the festivities this weekend. Granted I still worked preparing a lot of food to feed the clan, but this is also good for the soul work that I enjoy and chose to do!

Take the advice that Jennifer so freely gives and get those niche sites up and running to free yourself from the shackles of being a wage slave.

Noel June 1, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I have a question for you Jennifer…I see that some of the “hints” (lol) that you provided for domains have the actual brand name within them. I’ve always heard that was a bad thing to do….is that not the case? What are your thoughts?

Mark V June 1, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about!! Thanks for proving once again that Southerners are very giving people.(lol)

As soon as I saw the first (fish) the brain juices started churning.

Thanks ever so much.

Mark V
    Charleston, SC

bill June 1, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hi Jennifer,
    As Noel mentioned….I’ve heard from many different sources that you should never use a brand name in your website name unless you own the brand. In fact one person stated he received a cease and desist letter.

Do you know this to be not true?

thx

Traffic Mayhem June 1, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Thank you very much for sharing these keywords. the giving a fish idea is great, i think people will eventually learn how to find their own after a few free fishes. thanks again :)

Greatest Viral Tip June 2, 2010 at 12:01 am

Great ideas, but I’ve also heard the same thing others have mentioned….e.g. it’s not a good idea to use brand names in your domain names because the company could actually take that domain from you if they wanted to.

This is where internet marketing gets frustrating. One person says, “Do this…” and the next person says, “Don’t do this…” so it’s difficult to ever figure out what you should and shouldn’t do.

We end up avoiding brand name domains cause someone tells you they’re bad while another person is making thousands per month off them.

So what’s your take Jennifer? I assume brand names are ok with you since they are part of most of your suggestions. In most cases, I would assume the company isn’t going to try and take it from you if you’re promoting in an ethical way and promoting their products, but it would suck to go through all the work of getting the domain set up only to have it disappear and get shut down.

Thanks for all the great advice! :)

Linda Thompson June 2, 2010 at 12:01 am

Jennifer thanks for all your help. I am a struggling newbie. How do we get to be on your team.
    Are you suggesting we make a website or blog for these little fish? Then write articles or what?
    Like I said I am a struggling newbie.
    Linda

Eleazar | Entrepinoy Bank June 2, 2010 at 12:20 am

I’m looking for great keywords to start a new blog and this post is a great help for me. Thanks for giving this fish for us newbie fishers.

PotPieGirl June 2, 2010 at 1:52 am

Hi all!

Glad you’re enjoying – it was fun to put together. I sure hope some folks snatch these ideas up and let me know how they work out.

As for the “brand name” questions…

Here is what I wrote about that in the post above (right before I listed the “fish” – with the “disclaimer” image next to it:

“Some of these “fish” have brand names in them. Whether you use them or not is totally up to you. I’ve heard of marketers getting Cease and Desist letters from having a brand name in their domain name and the marketer had to take the site down. That has never happened to me as of yet. If it ever does, I’ll take the site down with no issues. That’s my thoughts on that- not to be mistaken for advice or legal counsel =) ”

Should you have a brand name you don’t own in your domain?

My short and responsible answer would be, “No”.

If you are not comfortable with it – Do Not Do It.

Have *I* done it? Yes, I have.

Could I have those sites shut down at any given moment? Yes, I could – and I am prepared to take them down in a heartbeat if it is requested.

Me vs. Them? They win.

Here is my personal way of looking at it when trying to decide if I should use one of these domains or not…..

When I search the keyword in Google, I look at the PPC ads.

I know some advertisers have very strict rules about bidding on their brand name in PPC.

If I see advertisers showing up (that aren’t the brand owner) advertising for that brand name keyword, I might consider giving it a go.

My thoughts are that if I am using their name or product name (or version of) to help SELL their product, maybe they won’t be so upset.

People have used my “brand” name (PotPieGirl) and my product name (One Week Marketing) in their own domain names. As long as they are using it to promote me/my stuff, I have no problem with it.

That is my opinion.

Is this legal advice? No. Am I right about this? I have no clue.

You each should do what you are comfortable with…

and never, ever try to outsmart your common sense.

If it feels like a bad idea, then go with that feeling until proven otherwise.

Jennifer

Greg June 2, 2010 at 3:16 am

Hi
    On looking at the linked sites in your post, I can see that ‘sniper’ is $77, but even after scanning/scrolling through pages and pages of self-promotion I cannot see any price for stay fresh. If someone is SOOOOOOO keen in trying to convince us to buy, why do they try so hard to ‘hide’ the price.
    It may be there, but it is so ‘hidden’ amongst the hype, it is VERY difficult to find. Can’t see it in the “Buy Now”
    I don’t care if they want to “give” me the key to Fort Knox. No price, no buy!! In fact, I am unlikely to ever buy anything from such people, as it always looks as if they have something to hide.
    I wonder what that could possibly be……………………?

The third link I could not find the price either.

Thanks.

PotPieGirl June 2, 2010 at 3:33 am

Hi Greg =)

Ya know what’s “funny”? I never noticed any of that. I always just click the buy button if I wonder how much something is.

I guess I’ve gone “blind” to salespages after looking at them for all these years….lol!

After getting to know these guys I feel pretty comfortable saying that they aren’t trying to hide anything – I hate that it comes across that way.

Jennifer

Jan June 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

I have to agree with Greg about the price on sales pages.
    There was a guide floating around the net sometime back that said you get more click throughs by not putting the price on the page. Personally, it is a major turn off for me.

Back to using brand names though. I have been toying with this idea for a little while, there are some great keywords to tap into. There is always the risk of being forced to pull it down.
    But, what has it cost you? A few $ for the domain and a couple of hours to put up a basic site.
    I still dither over the ethics of hanging onto the big boys coat tails by using brand names…

One thing that does tickle me, I get hits for Potpiegirl articles just for mentioning Potpiegirls cute beaver and The Dam Way in my side bar!

A bit of testing and tweaking, you might get away with not having brand names in the domain name and having decent content with site tags optimised correctly.

Thanks for the fish Jennifer and another great post.

Greg June 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Hi Jennifer (PPG)
    i understand what you are saying, but it is different if you know the people who are selling the product. If you don’t; then it may well be “pot luck” that everything is fine; but there are just too many shysters with deceptive products.
    Like Jan says, it makes us less likely to buy. I look at it this way. If you are trying to hide the price, what else are you hiding?
    Thanks for all the fish!

Best wishes

Arlene Chase June 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for the fish.

PotPieGirl June 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Hi Jan =)

re: Price – We marketers are always testing something, aren’t we? lol! Thing is, the only way to make conversions better is to test new things, see the results, and get feedback. I’m sure the guys will appreciate hearing feedback on the lack of obvious price.

re: brand names in domains – Sounds like you’re thinking like I do…. I’ve got what? $10 or so and a little time invested in the site. If a “Big Boy” says take it down and stop selling their stuff there – I’ll take it down quick as a wink.

Thanks for reading!

I’m putting Part 2 together right now so keep your eyes out for a new list of fish!

Jennifer

Brett - SEO in San Diego June 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Awesome stuff PotPieGirl ;-). I probably have 40 domains sitting in my Godaddy account for this exact thing “one week campaigns”. It’s awesome you’re sharing and are helping everyone out like that. It really opens peoples minds to the millions of niche, and sub niches that are out there that can make you money. I think most “noobies” always try and dive into the most competitive niches because they don’t understand this. Looking forward to the upcoming posts. Have a blessed day!

-Brett

XYZ June 2, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Personally, the price thing doesn’t bother me. As a marketer I understand its all about conversions.

Greg, I don’t think they are trying to hide anything from you, just increase conversions.

I have tested the price thing with my reverse cell phone lookup site, and not mentioning the price upfront dramatically increases conversions, I am talking about 300% increase!

I know it might annoy a few people, but I am a marketer and my job is to increase conversions not make everyone happy at the cost of conversions. I am guessing the 80/20 rule applies here.

As for domains with brand names in them, if you are asked to take it down, there is a simple solution without losing rankings.

Simply do a 301 redirect(.htaccess 301 redirect) to your new domain name and within a week or 2 your new domain name will replace the domain with the brand name.

You won’t lose rankings and the links pointing to your brand domain will now count towards your new domain(This only applies in Google).

Don’t be afraid to test things and make mistakes, it’s the only way you are going to get ahead in this business.

Remember, testing is the only way you will know for sure if something works. I have tested many things that people say don’t work or you shouldn’t do, but they have worked fine for me.

JulieW8 June 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Is there somewhere here on your site where you address domain name trademark violations?

I wouldn’t want to put the time and effort into building and promoting a site with a domain name that’s clearly a TM violation. If one of them belongs to a company that aggressively defends its TMs, you’re looking at losing the domain name and all your hard work.

Legal Beagle June 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Suggesting that your followers purchase domain names which incorporate famous trademarks like polaroid, waring, conair is irresponsible to say the least.

If this is your “free” advice I shudder to think what you might suggest with your paid services.

Your site is an excellent example of the idea that on the Internet “everyone” is an expert.

Might be wise to include a disclaimer that federal lawsuits can be downright expensive!

Chip June 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Might want to also mention that not only is it unethical to use someone elses Trademark without their permission to make money, it is also illegal. You are libel for fines, profits, fees and potential jail time. The courts and laws see it as stealing and consumer deception.

PotPieGirl June 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

As I clearly stated in the post above:

“Some of these “fish” have brand names in them. Whether you use them or not is totally up to you. I’ve heard of marketers getting Cease and Desist letters from having a brand name in their domain name and the marketer had to take the site down. That has never happened to me as of yet. If it ever does, I’ll take the site down with no issues. That’s my thoughts on that- not to be mistaken for advice or legal counsel”

Brian C. June 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

Jennifer,

I have a question are you affiliated with Dave B. (4dmmb) and his team, seems like his information and resources are exactly the same as yours. Just curious.

Brian C.

Bella June 29, 2010 at 5:30 am

So these programs are just more stuff for us desperate newbies to waste our limited resources on.
    Not good.