The Winds of Change Just Blew Through

by PotPieGirl on September 1, 2011 · 154 comments

new design at PotPieGirl.com!

Brace Yourself!

So I’ve been looking at that old theme here on PotPieGirl.com for what, 3 years now? Maybe more? Not only was I unimpressed with it – I was bored with it! Plus, that theme didn’t even allow me to use widgets! How can you really enjoy WordPress if you can’t use widgets and have to hand code everything in your side bar?!?! I’ve spent the last 2 days re-doing this site. Brace yourself for BIG changes…and come on in!

Welcome to the Newly Redesigned PotPieGirl.com!

Yep – it’s different… very different. I know making changes is risky, but hopefully we’ll all get used to it and settle back in here in my “living room”.

I also hope y’all will forgive me for NEEDING to make a big change here. Simple things, like making a post, were NOT simple with my old theme. I had to do some crazy html formatting to get my posts to format properly and not look all “squishy”.

I hate “Squishy” – I like white space. I like room to breathe.

This new theme makes posting SO much easier for me AND it makes it easier for ME to interact with YOU (I’ll explain that point in a moment).

I also changed up the colors. I’m a big fan of fall. It’s my favorite season. I imagine the main reason is back from my days as a managing Pro in the golf business. Fall meant….. time would change soon…days got SHORTER – which meant my workday suddenly got MUCH shorter too.

Also, fall is the perfect weather, in my opinion. The air is clear and crisp. Days are still warm, but nights are cool.

But above everything else, fall means FOOTBALL. College football! (Roll Tide! We’re starting this Saturday).

So that’s why I chose the fall color scheme. Granted, it is subject to change at any given moment as I spend my days obsessing over the new look and layout…lol!

Some Q&A About the Redesign

1. A brand new feed from Feedburner.

Once upon a million years ago (ok, like 4 years ago), I had burnt the feed for what was then this site hosted on Blogger.com – and then forgot about it. I figured it was time to catch up with the times and get the right feed burnt through Feedburner. The new PotPieGirl.com feed is located here…and you can get it emailed to you for free (just enter your email where it offers it).

Since it’s technically a new feed, I can’t dazzle anyone with my feed subscribers count (I think my cats signed up last night so that makes 2 so far…lol). But hopefully, over time, the number will be remotely close enough to put one of those nifty feed count chiclet doo-dads up.

2. A New Theme!

Yay! Believe it or not, changing an already existing and active blog over to a whole new look is NOT the easiest thing in the world. To anyone who happened to be stuck in the multiple changes happening in the last 48 hours, my apologies. I also apologize for every time I BROKE this site and it wouldn’t load (yes, I am one of those people who breaks things until they work!). Coding is NOT my specialty, but this new theme I am using makes it all SO much easier. In fact, now that I know how to use this new theme, I can’t see my going back to any other theme – it’s THAT customizable.

3. Better Comments!

This might sound odd, but the old comments set-up on the old theme did NOT make me happy. I didn’t have the ability to reply directly to a comment right under it…and it made it tough for ME to stay involved in the conversation. Now, any of us can click “reply” right under the comment we want to respond to…and keep it all organized and easier to follow.

Also, this new theme will show Gravatar images when you post. I really, REALLY like seeing the FACES of people hanging out with me here at PotPieGirl.com.

Thing is, if YOU don’t have a free gravatar account with an image uploaded there, all I’ll see (or ANYONE will see), is that silly little blue default icon next to your comment.

Please show me your face! I like to know who I am talking to.

It’s really easy (and free) to do, too. Just go here to Gravatar.com and sign up for a free account. Upload your picture and you’re done! From that point on, anytime you post a comment and use the same email address as your Gravatar account, you’re pretty little face will show!

So, that’s about it. Other than the dramatic difference in how PotPieGirl.com LOOKS, it’s still just little ol’ me behind the scenes.

Have a great day (or night!)

Jennifer

Joan Adams September 1, 2011 at 2:08 am

Your new site looks fabulous, of course!!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:46 am

Thank you, Joan!!!!!

Mike September 1, 2011 at 2:09 am

This looks terrific, Jennifer!!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thank you!!!!!!

Wayne Kuphal September 1, 2011 at 2:09 am

nice job – I am impressed. great on the eyes

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:11 am

It’s quite an under-taking! Thank you!!

Val September 1, 2011 at 2:11 am

I wanted to be the first to comment. Am I?

Looks awesome…I was getting bored with the old theme too. This is way more user-friendly and I love fall too. It looks fantastic!

Val

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:13 am

They beat you to it

Thanks, Val (and great to SEE you here!)

Melissa September 1, 2011 at 2:13 am

Nice work! I use the Thesis theme too:)

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:14 am

Thanks, Melissa! It took a little while to get my head around, but now that I get it, I LOVE it!

Mary Elliot September 1, 2011 at 2:13 am

Hi PotPieGirl (aka Jennifer!),

Great new site – I, too, like autumn colors and I love the clean look of it. The thing that I’m sure won’t change is the great info you always give us….

Thanks for that,

Mary (Complete with avatar!)

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:14 am

Thanks, Mary! And great to SEE you, too!

Elyse September 1, 2011 at 2:15 am

Dang girl it looks GREAT! And I agree, about time – LOL

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

Way overdue! Glad it’s done!

Thanks!

Sylviane Nuccio September 1, 2011 at 2:16 am

Great new look Jennifer!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:21 am

Thank you, Sylviane!

writersparadigm September 1, 2011 at 2:17 am

Looks really good Jennifer, very nice!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:22 am

Thank you!!

Richard September 1, 2011 at 2:22 am

When you mentioned a new theme, I thought you might be using Thesis and, sure enough, there it is. Joining the big boys like Matt Cutts, eh? Was it Andrew Hansen that pointed you in that direction, or had you already been using it elsewhere? Presumably, if Cutts uses it Google won’t see Thesis as a red flag screaming “marketer.” And since it costs money, it’s unlikely to be over-used by people on the wrong side of the IM tracks.

Now how about a header picture of you driving a ball right down the middle of a leaf-strewn fairway? That would be very nice to look at…;)

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:26 am

Does this make me a Big Boy? lol!!!!!! Can’t remember exactly why I started looking at Thesis, but the more I looked, the closer I got to taking the plunge and getting a license for it. I’m really glad I did =)

Driving a ball right down the middle of a leaf-strewn fairway sounds AWESOME!

Russ September 1, 2011 at 2:25 am

WOW

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:27 am

I sure hope that’s a good “wow”, Russ! lol!

Ron Townsend September 1, 2011 at 2:25 am

Change is always good , it makes a long and meaningful life. The change is great. Down here where I’m from roll tide is gator bait. Ron lol

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:28 am

Oh, Ron… not that “gator” word on my blog! Ack!!!! But it’s all good, I’m just so excited for football to get started!

Connie Abaya September 1, 2011 at 2:26 am

I love the new site! You know I love web design from the P3 forum, and I love what you have done here. I always change up my themes too. They are like shoes, you can’t always wear the same pair. :)

Connie

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:30 am

Hey Connie!

Personally, I LOVE change, but I know that once readers get comfortable, change can be rocky for them and I don’t like to force that on people.

Heck, if I move an END TABLE in my house, the natives get irritated…lol!

Christopher September 1, 2011 at 4:20 am

It’s a guy thing Jennifer, we don’t even change our hair style until it starts falling out. Okay, maybe a bit shorter than it was in the 70′s and with out the pony tail. The problem is with some folks is they don’t like change if they didn’t think of it first.

Personally I like your change and didn’t even know it needed to be changed. Ah but that’s women always looking for ways to improve what they have.

So, go ahead and move your end tables, repaint your walls and change your site, you won’t hear any complaints from me. But, if you try to give your hubby a make over you can expect a fight on your hands. There’s no reason to mess with perfection anyway.

And sorry about that silly little blue default icon if it shows up. I’m not very tech savvy yet.

Karen September 1, 2011 at 2:26 am

This looks great, Jennifer! Congrats.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:30 am

Thank you, Karen!

Oneonta Web Designer September 1, 2011 at 2:26 am

Jennifer,

It’s a great look. Congratulations on taking the plunge!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:30 am

Thank you! I’m glad I did it!

Pat September 1, 2011 at 2:27 am

Sleek and beautiful…just like you!
Congrats, Jennifer, on a job well done.
~pat

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:30 am

Oh Pat – you’re my new favorite! Thank you!

Candice September 1, 2011 at 2:28 am

Looks very nice…………………..I love white space too:-) Good job!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:31 am

Thank you Candice!

E. Sheppard September 1, 2011 at 2:30 am

I love your new look. I can’t wait to explore more here. I like all your updates and I am learning a lot here. Keep up the good work!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:31 am

Thank you so much! Hopefully, the blog is easier to navigate now, too! Let me know if you run into any issues.

Jay September 1, 2011 at 2:32 am

Good look nice change I am glad you are happy with it let the good times roll lol!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:34 am

Thanks, Jay!

hagar September 1, 2011 at 2:39 am

look at you, all dolled up in your new outfit!
nice, very nice
j-flad and john s. rhodes both say this theme is one of the best out there for flexibility, widget and plugin compatiblility, and choices in formatting for both left and right columns… it even can include auto-sizing for display ads on the sides…
good luck, and congrats again!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:41 am

Thanks, Hagar! And yes, it is super flexible and easy to work with (and GROW with).

Rothman September 1, 2011 at 2:39 am

I’ve been following your blog since my start as an internet marketer and I was BORED to death with the theme and the teeny tiny font. :p Looks better!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:42 am

Oh me too, Rothman! and Thank you!!

Jonathon September 1, 2011 at 2:40 am

Been contemplating paid themes for a while since most freebies have their shortcomings so will watch with interest as yours develops. Thesis seems popular with IM niche marketers – Anna @ Traffic Generation uses it and her site is visually pleasing to the visitor. Content is king (furniture) but you still need an attractive setting (theme) or else the beavers keep breaking things for you.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:43 am

So true, Jonathan!

Jacob September 1, 2011 at 2:41 am

I’ve been silently stalking you and this website for about the last year and a half (totally NOT creepy, right ;) and have learnt so much over that time. I’m about to graduate High School and feel now is the right time to start up the IM business, so thank you :). Anyways, the new site is absolutely AMAZING, so much better than the old one. I have to say my favorite feature is the comments! I agree that, that was a real pain on the last layout! Great work, as always.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:44 am

Jacob – you’ve been stalking me?!?!? My sister once said, “You’re nobody ’til somebody stalks you” – lol!!! Glad my blog has been helpful for you – and congrats on your impending graduation!!!!

Jacob September 1, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hahaha, I happen to agree with her! Thanks so much :). Your blog and OWM Program has been more than helpful, it’s honestly given me the confidence and knowledge to take control over my future, and my families future. Given my circumstances, you could never know how much that means to me!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:10 am

Jacob – thank YOU! That is exactly why I do what I do. Anyone can work quietly online and make money….but I choose to speak and share too.

Why?

Because people speaking and sharing helped ME when I was starting all this internet marketing craziness!

Here’s to YOUR future!

Jennifer

DianiaLee September 1, 2011 at 2:54 am

Way to go Jennifer! Looks great!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:57 am

Thank you, DianiaLee!!

RealityCheck September 1, 2011 at 2:56 am

Nice PotPie!

I am going to have to redo the whole OWM though, I use a Mac and was in the process of upgrading my OS when I clicked on your link, and it threw flash player and acrobat at me and knocked out my OS upload lol. I had to pay $539 to get it fixed today!

Needless to say, all of your stuff got goofed up too, so it was a mess. I am looking forward to it, but need to make sure everything is running properly before I try that again. You could have warned me first lol.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 2:59 am

Say huh?!??!? How did the OWM pdfs mess up your OS? Sorry, I don’t get it (not a Mac user) However, if you need a new download of OWM, just stop by my help desk at AskPotPieGirl.com with your receipt number and we’ll get it over to you.

RealityCheck September 1, 2011 at 3:06 am

I’m on a WiFi, and it came to such a craaaawl it just ground to a stop. I live in the Rocky Mountains at over 8,000 feet. The air is thinner, and the internet is slower lol. I got some of your stuff, but not all, and some new OS and some old lol. Mac swaps the OS out. I did not pay for it yet, you introduced me to Jackie Lee and someone else, and squidoo christmas etc. I was just about to pay you for OWM and poof…meltdown lol

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:08 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh….. wow, that sounds like a mess! Darn thin air! =)

Duy Nguyen September 1, 2011 at 2:58 am

Yeah Jenifer, I think change is necessary in order to step forward :) And talking about this theme I want to let you know that I really like it. Plain, simple and eye-catching. I like the background color. It let my eyes relax more. And yes, I like your Gravatar as well. You look pretty :D Anyway, looking for more from your posts. Have a nice day!

Duy.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:00 am

Aw thanks, Duy!!!! Glad it’s comfortable here for you!

Duy Nguyen September 1, 2011 at 3:03 am

OMG, I’m soooooo sorry, I mistyped your name Jennifer :(

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:07 am

No problem! I do it sometimes myself! lol!

Tim Morton September 1, 2011 at 3:07 am

You go girl!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:11 am

Thanks, Tim!

Alan September 1, 2011 at 3:08 am

I agree 110% about fall being perfect weather. Perfect FOOTBALL weather. At least in the south anyway. The humidity drops and the smells of tailgating are in the air.

WAR EAGLE! from the Plains.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:12 am

Oh no – you did NOT just say “War Eagle”, did you Alan?!?!?! I’m starting to twitch….lol!

Yes, Fall IS Football! And I love it!

ArizDude September 1, 2011 at 3:20 am

Great Job Jennifer,

Really looks cool….

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:22 am

Thank you!

Mario September 1, 2011 at 3:25 am

Congrats Jennifer..like the new website layout

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:47 am

Thank you, Mario!

Jim September 1, 2011 at 3:25 am

I really like the new format. It is easier to read! Good for old eyes.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:42 am

Thanks Jim. These old eyes like it too =)

Robert September 1, 2011 at 3:26 am

Like yourself I am due a change regarding aesthetics on my main blog. Not sure if you knew that Alexa picked up your blog as one of their 10 blog posts to visit today! Will be interesting to see how many new pairs of eyeballs come your way today. Thanks Robert

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:48 am

Wow! Cool beans! Didn’t know Alexa had this post as a Top 10 today… that’s pretty neat! (Must also be why my site is a bit slow…lol)

Thanks, Robert!

hakmi September 1, 2011 at 3:40 am

but….some people like me not used to read on white backgroung because it hurting the eyes…..anyway it doesnt matter if your articles very helpful….

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:42 am

Interesting…and so noted. Thank you for the feedback! I’ll keep it in mind =)

Wendy Owen September 1, 2011 at 3:41 am

Hi Jennifer, love the background.

I used Thesis for a while and found it a bit clunky. Are you using one of the Thesis “skins”?
Anyway it looks great, wll done!

Wendy

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:44 am

Hiya Wendy! Thank you!

Nope, no skin…this was all done by hand – and it was an ADVENTURE! hahaha!

Pobman September 1, 2011 at 3:46 am

OK I will be honest, its better… BUT still needs work. On a larger monitor I think the background image its messed up as it does not tile properly and was clealry originally designed for a lower resolution. On my 24 inc Dells it looks bad, but on the U3011 (same as you have I know!) it looks awful having the background tiled so many times.

The Tweet thing on the side also did not load properly for me in IE, but worked fine in Firefox. In IE the ‘Tweet’ bit is missing. The box is also in a different place, in IE its on the left of the white area where all the text is, in Firefox its on the far left of the browser.

Anyway both easy fixes! Its a brave thing changing a theme… its never quite as easy as you think!

Pobman September 1, 2011 at 3:48 am

Oh afer the post went through the ‘Tweet’ box started working in IE… I wish IE would work as well as Firefox!!!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:55 am

Thank you for the heads up! I was constantly checking IE to make sure everything was good, but forgot to check after adding the Twitter feed doo-dad. I’ve removed it for now.

It’s crazy how different IE and Firefox are, isn’t it?

I’ll have to work on the background… not exactly my “thing” but I’m sure I can break it til it works…lol!

THANK YOU for the feedback. It took a BIG dose of courage to jump in and just do this. I know there will be things that need to be fixed along the way…and I THINK I have enough Advil left…hahaha!

Good to see you!

Pobman September 1, 2011 at 4:10 am

Earlier this year I updated about half my sites… but when I tried to update the one which makes the most money it just went SO WRONG… because the way the new theme and the old one interacted with Wordpress is just did not work… posts and pages were all over the place. In the end I gave up! Need to get a PHP/Wordpress expert in to do it for me, so right now the site is stuck looking like its 2003 still :)

Did you test it out on an offline copy of your site first… OR just go for broke and made it a live testing?

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 4:17 am

I just dove in and went for it (however, I do backup everyday so I’m not THAT brave…lol!!)

Look up Welshy in WA – he might be able to help you. He’s great with WordPress issues and php and all that.

Cindy September 1, 2011 at 3:58 am

Looks AWESOME, Jennifer!

I’m in the market for a new theme… so this Thesis theme, is it really expensive? It sure looks like it is!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:59 am

Thanks, Cindy!

I bought the Developers License so I can use it over and over on other sites. However, in my opinion, the single site license isn’t bad at all.

Cindy September 1, 2011 at 4:12 am

I guess I’m gonna have to ‘Google’ the Thesis theme!

Thanks for the heads up!

Alison September 1, 2011 at 4:07 am

:) Looks good Jennifer. Love your new pic.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 4:18 am

Thanks, Alison!

Rosie September 1, 2011 at 4:21 am

I like the white theme, however on my Mac the page is very wide & I have to scroll sideways to see the right sidebar at all. The post just fits on my screen nicely but can’t see the right sidebar. Guess there’s not so much to see, mainly missing the right side of the header image.
If I command minus 4 times it all fits the screen but the text is rather small to read.
Am i the only one with this?
Anyway I like it better than before. :)

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 4:27 am

Hiya Rosie!

Thanks for that. I’m not a MAC user so I am clueless about any of that or why it happens. Perhaps another Mac user can help?

LindaP September 1, 2011 at 6:00 am

I’m not a Mac user, but this sounds like a resolution issue. Jennifer, if you are creating your web pages while using a wide screen at maximum resolution, a lower resolution monitor cannot hold all the pixels, so you have the scrolling issue. I teach my web design students to use 1440 X 900 resolution on their monitors while they are developing. If their visitors have a computer newer than XP, that resolution should work ok, but older machine users will still have scroll sideways to see the entire screen.

You can check your site in http://browsershots.org to see how people with other browsers, resolutions, and operating systems will see your pages. Unfortunately, they don’t have anything for Mac computers, yet, but Windows, Linux, and BSD browsers are there. Just select the ones you want to see your site in, enter your URL, adn wait about 20 to 30 minutes before going back to the site. They will have snapshots of each that you have selected. Note of caution: The more you choose, the longer the report takes.

Best wishes!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Oh Linda, thank you! Great advice and I totally need to look into Browsershots.org!

Monster High Costumes September 1, 2011 at 5:34 am

I like the new look of your site and your new look too. Like what you’ve done with your hair, a change is as good as a holiday they say.

Kat September 1, 2011 at 5:35 am

Wow, just got around to reading my email today, clicked through and must say I love it! Much nicer than the old one. Change is good, we all need it from time to time. @Rosie I use a mac and the theme is fine for me so not sure what the problem is

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, Kat!

Craig Sowerby September 1, 2011 at 5:38 am

Hey Jeniffer,

Love the updated site. I just love wordpress and there is soooooo much you can do with it. From really cool themes and as for all the plugins you can just go crazy over them, but don’t be a plugin junkie as it will slow your site right down.

some of the best :

Elegant Themes
Woo Themes
Studio Press

Rosie I am using a PC and Firefox and it is all clear with me.

One plugin I would suggest you use Jennifer is called comluv. It allows user to add a link back to 1 of 10 of their own posts so you are giving a little exposure to your subscribers sites.

It also gets you more comments as I have found that you get more people wanting to comment on your blog if you are a comluv user.

At the moment Andy Baily the creator of comluv is giving away beta versions of the premium version if you pop over and register you can the the new version which is going to be even better. The FREE version is excellent too!

Craig

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Craig. I used to use that plug in, but (don’t be shocked now), I get spammed to death – way worse than normal…lol!

I’m already a do-follow blog. I made that big,bold decision back in 2008 (see this post of mine for my thoughts on it when I made the decision) and still stand by it.

I believe that if others take their time to truly contribute to the conversation HERE, that they should get some love.

Anyway – thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions!

LindaP September 1, 2011 at 5:51 am

Wow! Good thing you gave warning. I would have thought I was in the wrong place! This is fantastic! I love the colors and the format. Will you share what theme you used for this?

You might reconsider the “Notify me of followup comments via e-mail” checkbox, though. Some people, including Tiffany Dow, have had issues with their web host thinking they were spamming because of the number of eimails that were going out through their accounts.

Congrats on the new look!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hiya Linda! Thanks!

Ya know, I thought about removing the “notify me” option because I bet it does get annoying to get constant emails every time a new comment is added. Thankfully, I haven’t had host issues with it, but will keep an eye on it.

Michelle September 1, 2011 at 5:55 am

Yeah I’m loving the new look too Jennifer!
A bit wide for my screen too… but I’m on a netbook and I don’t think ANYONE has a screen as small as mine! Roll in those affiliate payments so I can get me a mac.
Hot profile pic in the header too. You’re a grandmother? Get outta town!!!
:-)

Wilma van Zwietering September 1, 2011 at 7:22 am

Hi Jennifer!

Your new theme looks good and is easy reading.
Thumbs up for your hard work!

Greetings, Wilma

Sara Young September 1, 2011 at 7:53 am

Jennifer – I love the new theme! And you look great in the banner on top.

I should get a nicer blog too. Yet another thing to add to my list of things to do…. Sigh.

:-)

Sara

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hey Sara!

You have a To Do LIST? Oh honey, I have a To Do BOOK! lol!

Thanks for stopping by!

Ed Cronin September 1, 2011 at 7:59 am

My Hero still, you did need to to remold it. LOL I love the new look.

Ed AKA Croninweb

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hey Ed! Thank you!

Rick September 1, 2011 at 8:11 am

The site makover looks great. And that’s a very nice picture of you at the top. It seems that you have a new look, as well.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm

LOL Rick… sure do =) But we’ll pretend it’s natural, ok?

Abhishek Sarkar September 1, 2011 at 8:25 am

lovely design! Well this one adds a charm to your already awesome blog. :)

Stephen Byrne September 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hi Jennifer, Love the new look, the picture at the top has a hint of the thinking Socrates in it, also, as it is a Fall theme are you planning a winter theme :-) and is this a paid theme, how did you get these little fellas on the the left, the social bookmarks?

Aman September 1, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hey Jennifer,

Great new look…glad to know u’ve started using the Thesis theme…it has so much to offer in terms of customization!! Another great reason to follow ur stuff :)

Terry September 1, 2011 at 11:53 am

Well there Pot Pie Girl I seem to remember a post from you in the past about procrastination! Still you have got there in the end and proved you are just like the rest of ie human.
Well done looks good. Can we look forward to even more frequent pearls of wisdom we have become used to from you?

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hiya Terry =)

Yep, I’m as human as they come. I totally did put this off for some time. I knew it would be a big undertaking and wanted to be sure I MADE the time to do it.

And yes, I’d like to get back to posting more often. With this new theme, it’s MUCH less of a hassle.

Mister_Papagiorgio September 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I think it looks nice- love the red on the sides- the header could be better but what do I know, I’m no graphic designer :p

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Me neither (as we can all tell)…lol!

Cathy September 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

How exciting!!! Your new site looks great! (Ummmm love the spam counter?! LOL That is a crazy number!!!)

Cathy September 1, 2011 at 12:36 pm

By the way, I have a gravatar acct, but the pic didn’t show… weird.

Cathy September 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm

There I am! LOL

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I see ya!

Steve September 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Nice look, a real improvement. However, I have a horizontal scroolbar at the bottom, so it’s obviously too wide. People seems to forget that some of us still don’t have wide screen monitors and/or have a lower resolution. Mine is set at 1024 and the page is too wide.

Also, those social network buttons that pop up on the left side may be helpful for some, but I find them extremely annoying.

I really don’t mean to sound like I’m complaining, I just thought you might like to know.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Feedback is a good thing, Steve – thank you!

Steven Barnhart September 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jennifer,
Very nice! Very clean and flows without the “squishy” … I have been doing some of my own “pruning” … ideas pop into the head and we keep adding … next thing you know you have hodge podge!

Until the next time…

To be awake is to be alive

Paul Tomlinson September 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I dig the new look of your website including the white space in the middle and widget look along the side. My only recommendation coming from a photography background is to not have so many things going on.. on the right hand side and I would re-do the header. The header doesn’t speak to me and it looks like you are looking down as well. Ok… sorry if I am being harsh. I really like your content and everything that you bring to the IM community.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Thanks, Paul! That pic of me at the top is a spontaneous picture my hubby took of me while we were on vacation. He took it with his iPhone and I can’t seem to get it much better than that. I’m looking into having someone make my one better now that I know what I have in mind.

Carlen September 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Looking good, PPG! Keep me on your list.

shalisha September 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE this new look. This makes you look more serious (not that you weren’t serious before) but this adds a new level of credibility. Nice work!

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Rut Roh – I look SERIOUS? Oh dear…. lol!!!!!!! Thanks Shalisha!!!!

Ann Gray September 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am still very new, but have been following you and I like your new theme. I am wondering why I should buy a theme when WP offers such a variety. Can you enlighten me, please!?

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hey Ann – great question.

Here’s why I did it.

Thesis is more of a theme “framework”. It starts off very basic and then you turn it into your own thing. I wanted my blog to be MINE and NOT look like any other blog out there.

Steve September 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Hi Jennifer,
Like the general look of the new theme but and there’s always a but agree with Mister_Papagiorgio, think the header needs a bit of work.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Yep, you’re right. Working on that!

Ryan September 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Jennifer it’s nice – different, and its a great picture of you! I do think there may need to be an adjustment in the width of the page as it’s forcing me to scroll to see the whole thing.

Craigslist Moving September 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Been following you for a while now. It is actually one the reasons I started this blog. Of course its only four days old.

But the new look is great. I hope to see some of the old categories and pages come back though.

Pete

Jae Burnham September 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Awesome. Kind of liked the old look, but I can get used to this one too. Hope everything works out with traffic and such. I had a drastic drop in traffic when I switched themes.

Jae

Clefty September 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I like the new theme too and FYI – it looks good on my phone too! The fall colors are great…

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Clefty! I haven’t looked at it on a phone yet – good to know!

Tooth Whitening Columbia September 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Your new site looks nice, but I also liked the look of your old site. But, choosing the looks of a website is like choosing a car… not everyone likes the same car.

What’s interesting is that I have SEOQuake on and for Page Rank it is giving this new site a PR=N/A… I believe your old website had a PR=3. Why does changing the theme make a difference?

Jhoe

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hiya! Check the url in your browser when looking at the tool. You might be on a comments page url (has a #) in it. That would explain the PR thing.

Tooth Whitening Columbia SC September 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Yes, that was my problem…that’s why I subscribe to your blog… always learning something. Thanks.

Monna Ellithorpe September 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Jennifer,

LOVE the new look. Kind of good to hear I’m not the only one who procrastinates at times. I enjoy reading every one of your posts and emails. Thanks for everything.

DixieB September 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I love your new look, Jennifer and i understand the hard work and time involved to do this, but it is clean clear and does not have a cluttered look…Good Job!

Dixie

Greg September 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I love the new look, J. I think you will be really happy with these changes. I hate making changes, but after I do I always love it all better. Just grrrrrrrr on making the changes.

PotPieGirl September 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thanks all!!!!

Lillian September 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Very Impressive; that is, you are very impressive–making changes and standing out like you do. Keep it up; you have a lot of followers.

Anne September 1, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Very nice, Jennifer – very nice. I totally agree with you on the value of white space. Gotta have it!!
Anyway – I like the new look!

Anne

Jo September 2, 2011 at 1:14 am

I really, really, like this new look!

Bud Corwin September 2, 2011 at 1:20 am

Hi Jennifer,
I just checked out your new site and I think it is magnificent. I love the header and your picture is perfect. Don’t change it. Keep up the great work and talk again soon.

Pregnancy Pillow September 2, 2011 at 2:37 am

Hi Jennifer,

Just checked out your new site and I really like it. The thesis theme is fab. As usual, looking forward to all your great posts and info.

Buck Johnson September 2, 2011 at 3:50 am

“OMG, what is she up to now?” That’s my thought when I saw the “Winds Of Change” title. If nothing else, PPG is good at keeping me guessing and my curiosity about what she’s up to high. Not that I haven’t benefited big time from “One Week Marketing” and “P3 Marketing.” I have. And I continue to be taught how to “keep ‘em coming back.”

So, if nothing else, the “new” theme and site best serves the curiosity factor. Probably most any change (and catchy headline) would serve the purpose.

Glen Palo September 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Love the new look! It’s taken me a long time to find a theme I liked for my blog. Hope I don’t get tired of it for a long while.:) Glen

Kat September 3, 2011 at 3:29 am

Jennifer, with all due respect, the new site design looks terrible. :( The only thing I like is how you can now reply to individual comments. I don’t want the quality of your content, which is fantastic, to be taken away any by the appearance of the site.

Peter Parks September 3, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Love your new look Jennifer. Just one thing though. I do agree that your banner is a bit heavy in comparison to the rest of your page. I think that the autumn treatment is great if you could just lighten it up a bit. Sort of freshen it up a bit so it will be more representative to the rest of your page. The side bars are great. I like the seasonal theme for your page and I was wondering if you were going to change your banner as the different seasons rolled around. I lease aquariums to retirement homes and I change the decor to fit the seasons. The residents seem to enjoy seeing Santa and the Easter Bunny mingling with their fish. Also keeps them aware of what season is here.

Hogward@Family Meal Planner September 5, 2011 at 6:36 am

I really love your content and site theme. Its better to short down the horizontal scroll bar in order to make it more compatible.

Christina (cld111) September 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm

The new site looks great Jennifer! It’s much easier to read. Which is good since you always have something good to read on here!

James Hussey September 7, 2011 at 5:32 am

Love the new theme and totally agree about Fall weather – only I hate the winters here in Idaho. Never was much for snow (but freedom’s worth it). And I’ve never seen a Thesis theme look like this, looks highly customized, did you use a skin or just do it all yourself?

Kasko September 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Your articles are wonderful and very useful. I like your site theme also. Thanks for sharing.

Lily K Gonsalves September 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

hi, where can i learn about affiliate marketing in click bank? pls send me the links… i cannot see any search column here . thx

Joseph Tohill September 15, 2011 at 4:56 am

Well, I’ve been coming to your site for some time now, and I must say, I LOVE the new theme… not that there was anything wrong with the old one. At least not from the reader’s point of view – on your end, things sounded a little more… complicated.

But I’m glad you got things up and running with the new theme so quickly, and I look forward to reading your future articles, as always.