Hi! I'm Jennifer - known as 'PotPieGirl' online. Welcome to my blog! I just want to let you know that this post may contain affiliate links which means, at no cost to YOU, that I might receive compensation if you purchase something through a link on my site (that's called "affiliate marketing"). My full policy is here.
If YOU'D like to learn how to make money blogging with affiliate marketing like I do on my blogs, feel free to read my Free Blogging 101 E-Course here. Thanks for reading!
I made an open post to my friends at Wealthy Affiliate tonight. As I re-read it (and fixed all my typos…lol), I thought it was something I should share with ALL my friends. Since I’ve been busy trying to get all this OneWeekMarketing.com stuff together, I thought I do a re-print of that post here at PotPieGirl.com
10 Things I’ve Learned About Internet Marketing
1. Internet Marketing/Affiliate Marketing is mainly a process of “self-education”. While there are WONDERFUL resources online (ie, WA), it is still ultimately up to YOU to learn and apply your knowledge. There is no test – no real certification – that says “pass” or “fail”. We determine our own success…. and we determine our own failure. Fear of failure AND fear of success can be the biggest obstacles in this business.
2. One is never enough. When using free methods to make money online, one is never enough. If you find a keyword, don’t just write ONE article. Make a lens, make a Hub Page, make a blog post, write unique articles for various article directories. Don’t just stick your toe in the swimming pool of a market, do a great big ol belly flop and SOAK the market.
3. Learn how to find what you need online. Those that are successful in internet marketing are also REALLY good researchers. Learn how to make Google your friend. Learn how to find what you need. In school we could simply raise our hand and ask a question. Online, you are ultimately in charge of your own destiny. Embrace that.
4. People hate “hype” – but… it still causes an emotional response to buy. This one drives me crazy and I see MYSELF doing it too. We all claim we hate hype and flashy sales pages…but we are drawn to them, aren’t we? Emotional triggers cause sales the majority of the time. If you ARE that “trigger”, you make sales. The secret is not the keyword… the secret is the trigger.
5. PPC is NOT a Beginners Sport. My apologies to those that may disagree, but I do not think anyone new to this business should START with PPC. It is tricky… it can be expensive…it is more than simple math and deep pockets. I am SO thankful that I took the time to learn how to find, obtain, and convert organic (free) traffic before I even touched PPC. Once upon a time, the deepest pockets won when using AdWords advertising. This is no longer true. Learn the basics first.
6. Failure is a state of mind. In my opinion, the only way you can “fail” at all this is if you never put anything online. There is a phrase I love – “Ready! Fire! Aim!” – and it describes me to a tee. Pick something then DO IT…and you can tweak it later. But if you never DO anything, you will NEVER make sales online. Stop standing in your own way and take a chance.
7. Shiny Things Dull Your Senses. How many times a DAY are you distracted by something “shiny”? You know, a new released “must have” system…. a fancy and expensive keyword tool…. some ebook that is “guaranteed” to make you money fast and easy? Distractions and money pits are everywhere online. Learn to protect yourself from them. All these things do is dull your focus.
8. Stop being your own worst critic. I simply can NOT believe how hard folks are on themselves! You are learning something new. It is a whole new world in here AND this new world is constantly changing. The internet is no longer a big, fancy sales brochure… it is more like a living, breathing thing. Relax and allow yourself to first adjust to the climate…and then allow yourself to learn the language. In my life, I have YET to hear someone say, “I was going to college for a 4-year degree, but I quit because I didn’t get that degree in 6 months!”. Do yourself a favor – 1) Write your expectations of yourself and of internet marketing on paper 2) Be SURE those expectations are realistic. If those expectations are NOT realistic, change them. Then – be your own best friend… be your biggest fan. Stop condemning yourself for what you DON’T know and for what you HAVEN’T achieved, and start being proud of yourself for each thing you DO learn and you DO achieve.
9. There is only ONE way to stop the frustration of the learning curve. The only way to stop it is to STOP LEARNING. I’ve been doing this for some time now. For all sakes and purposes, I have been pretty successful with the things I’ve done so far. However, I want to continue to grow and try new things. With each new thing comes a new learning curve. It is the reality of being a business owner… it is the reality of being human. Even tho I put my fist thru my monitor three times in the past 24 hours, I still am proud that I finally LEARNED and ACCOMPLISHED the task at hand. At one time I only knew my abc’s and videos on MTV…now I know some about php, too. Bless my heart….lol
10. Changing your life IS scary. You are taking brave steps to change your life. You aren’t thinking about it, you aren’t complaining about it, you aren’t planning it…. you are DOING it. This is bold, and courageous, and admirable. You could be watching TV right now… or sleeping…or on the phone with a friend complaining about your life, but you’re not. You are a brave and courageous person to be right here, right now, reading this rambling from me. Take a moment to thank yourself for having the guts to even TRY and do this. You deserve that respect and appreciation from YOURSELF.
Be kind to yourself. Keep moving FORWARD. And appreciate each and every learning curve you encounter.
Ok, done rambling